How to enrol in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)?


The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international students enrolled in an Ontario university. The plan is intended to ensure that you have basic health care coverage while studying in the province.

As an international student or exchange student you are automatically enrolled in UHIP and the coverage charge will be listed on ACORN, your student account. UHIP coverage may also be extended to your eligible dependent family member(s).

All international students must obtain their UHIP card online. You are required to show your card each time you visit a health care or medical service provider. It is very important that you obtain your UHIP card early, before the possible event of a medical emergency.

To get your UHIP card, you will need to register online at Please refer to the Sun Life Registration Guide or the Sun Life Registration Webcast for step-by-step instructions about how to register.


To register for your UHIP card, you will need:

  • your date of birth,
  • your Canadian postal code,
  • the contract/policy number – 050150,
  • your certificate/member ID (your member ID is “U” + your student number) and
  • your U of T email address.

To find out what to do after you’ve enrolled in UHIP, check out this post! 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.